Janata Shikshan Sangha, an educational institute , was established way back in 1935 by great educationist and philanthropist late Shri Tammannappa Chikodi . The seeds of education were sown when an “Anglo – Vernacular” school was started in 1935 in Banhatti. Since then the Sangha is striving hard to impart quality education to the rural students at an affordable cost.
About three decades ago there was no college offering commerce degree course in the vicinity 80 K.Mtrs. In 1975, considering the needs of the people of Jamkhandi , Mudhol, Raibag and Athni talukas , the management of the sangha took a bold decision to start a first grade college offering “ Bachelor of Commerce” course to begin with. The motto of founding father of the sangha late Shri Tammannappa Chikodi was realized as the higher education was brought to the door steps of down trodden and weaker section of the society in general and weavers community in particular